Benzene Application Framework (benzene) wrote in lj_everywhere,
Benzene Application Framework

Some notes on installing LJ on OS/X

Here are some notes on my experiment of installing LJ on my Powerbook G4. Not that I know Perl, Apache, or what I'm doing.

(1) There seems to be an actual directory named "cvs" (in lowercase) in the source tree for LiveJournal. Yet the CVS software automatically creates a blessed directory called "CVS" (in uppercase) in enlistments, for its own purposes. If you have a case-insensitive file system then this will cause your enlistment to choke. So I ended up using the tar file, but it would be nice if perhaps this directory could be renamed (or just deleted, w/the single file moved elsewhere).

(2) I had a problem with "cannot get master database handle", and using the diagnostic advice given by mart in this thread I got "Client does not support authentication protocol"...which suggests that the access methods used by the database interface are somehow out of date for MySql 4. I found a workaround to get MySql to use an older password format, and that made it happy.

(3) Although there is a sample httpd.conf to use with Apache listed in the server docs, I didn't want to delete the big and well-commented default file that was sitting on my machine. So I tried sticking in the PerlSetEnv and PerlRequire lines, and hoped for the best. But it didn't work, and by process of elimination I ultimately found that the line:
# DocumentRoot: The directory out of which you will serve your
# documents. By default, all requests are taken from this directory, but
# symbolic links and aliases may be used to point to other locations.
DocumentRoot "/Library/WebServer/Documents"

...was competing with the modperl's "hook" into Apache allowing livejournal to run code to dynamically generate pages in response to a URL. Commenting this line out fixed the problem.

(4) Both the files create.bml and editinfo.bml refer to a routine called check_email which is in -- and for whatever reason, this particular routine is not getting found. I'm having the same problem as in this thread, but the problem doesn't seem to be LJHOME not being set (as bradfitz suggests). Commenting out the check_email call in these two files leaves a site that seems to otherwise function, but I'd like a better solution.

(5) Ideally the lj_everywhere wiki would be working, but it isn't currently as noted here.

  • Post a new comment


    Comments allowed for members only

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded